Photobucket

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Day I Broke the Rules

When I say that I was a great kid, I'm not lying. I was like an angel. Mostly it was for fear of getting in trouble. We had some strange rules growing up, that now I kind of question (sorry Mom)..

We weren't allowed to watch The Simpsons. To this day, I've only seen maybe two episodes of The Simpsons, because when I was old enough to make up my own mind what I could watch, I hadn't seen it, so it wasn't something I thought about. We were, however, allowed to watch Roseanne and Married With Children. I know, I don't get it either.

A more common rule was that we weren't allowed to watch MTV. I'm sure there were a lot of kids that weren't allowed to watch it. It didn't really bother me, because I grew up listening to country music (I used to want to be Trisha Yearwood.. seriously.) If I was over at a friend's house, and they turned on MTV, I would go sit in the other room until they changed it. Because I wasn't allowed to watch it. See what I mean? Angel. Freak Angel.

Then one day, I was at my friend Kristi's house, in her room, and she flipped it to MTV. I thought about leaving, but I stayed. Green Day's video for Basket Case came on. (Theres the link to it, since they won't let me embed it.)

And I watched it.

And loved it.

I wouldn't say that this moment was the start of my rebellion, because honestly I never really rebelled. I just formed my own opinions and then stated them, even though they were much different than most of my family's. But it was the moment that I started questioning some of my Mom's rules. There wasn't anything wrong with MTV. Back then it was mostly videos! It was blocked at home, but from then on, I didn't leave the room if a friend put it on the forbidden channel.

I did, however, leave the room if The Simpsons was on.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

You read it, you might as well comment right! And honestly, I love comments. They get sent directly to my email, which I of course get on my phone because I am addicted to your comments.